Monday, October 1, 2012

Dracula-thon (Part 1)


So, it's October again, and as I said yesterday, we're jumping into the second Halloween horror review fest.

Last year, it was 80's franchise slashers, this year, we go back, and do the classics.
Starting with, The Prince Of Darkness, The Lord Of Wickedness, the original "Batman"....


Dracula (1897)


The book-

Well....if you don't know the story of fuggin' Dracula...what are yah, Amish? Just got to this country? 
What happened?

Well, y'see, once upon a time, there was this guy, called Dracula, and he's this thing, called a "vampire", and...

Y'know what? 
Here's the goddamned book.
There ya go.



The history-

So yeah, I have a fancy bound copy of if this, double-deckered with "Frankenstein", and I've read both, both are fuggin' great, none of the films have really 100% nailed either of 'em.

I've heard people say the book is "boring", and, those people are...just fucking lame.

I dunno, maybe my mental movie was better than anyone else's.
My fuckin' Dracula was shot like Masterpiece Theater for the interiors, like a Hammer flick for the exteriors, the effects were top notch, but not over the top, just enough to get the job done, and my soundrack was various patch-worked cuts of the Castlevania soundtrack.
Also, there was this perfectly adjusted blue moonlight-y thing going on that made everything, especially the whites and reds pop.
Looked really great.

Really, gimme the money, and authority, I'll direct that sumbitch, I'll kick Coppola's self-indulging ass, and I'll bring it in under budget to boot.

Anyhoo....as for finer dissection of the story, and the character of Dracula, and his impact on pop-culture,...I'll leave it to the organic process of reviewing all of the spinoff fiction in these upcoming reviews.

Hell, the spinoffs pretty much dissect it all for me.

Hmm, I pictured doing a much longer dissertation on this...which is why I waited so late, but...no, really the upcoming parts will have all the meat.

And on that score, up next, the Universal films.

1 comment:

Hyla Tracy II said...

My lady LOVES this book. Reads it at least once a year.

Her old Signet paperback copy actually fell apart, so I bought her a new one last b-day--a fat quality paperback version illustrated by Jae Lee! Creepy awesomeness.

Your big hardbound Drac and Frankie combo edition sounds pretty damn sweet, though! Wish we had a bad boy like that gracing our shelves.

Blog Archive

Labels