Saturday, January 8, 2022

Venom: Let There Be Carnage (2021)

As I said in the Shang-Chi review...

Next up, gotta collect Venom 2, and Eternals, and I hope I can get to see "No Way Home" in theaters before it's gone.

Seen NWH, got this, Eternals left to go, and I'm caught up!




Non-spoiler review.

I dug it.
Same brand of dumb fun as the first Venom.
Although, where I said the first one felt like the cheesier 00's era superhero movies pre-MCU, this one actually nailed the feel of the 80'/90's comic books.
Which were themselves cheesy.
But with more tongue in their cheek.
Andy Serkis did his homework.
Thank you, Andy!

A thought occurred to be we-watching Venom 1 yesterday, and then this one today.
Venom is the new Hulk.
Especially when Hulk gets turned into Smart-Hulk.
Venom steps right into that role of savage monster that smashes stuff up.
When Peter David turned Hulk into Smart-Hulk in the comics, and had him be a leader of a superhero team, and dragged that shit out for years and years, I should have switched to reading Venom.
For a nerdy kid, I wasn't always bright.

Anyway, you modern Marvel movie-watchers who have beef with MCU's Smart-Hulk, I offer you the same choice.
Try out Venom.
Might just scratch your itch.

Now, spoilers.
.
.
.
.
.

.
.
Spoiler review-

Has the now famous mid-credits scene that sets up the mid-credits of "No Way Home" and thus by transitive property sets up Spider-Man 4.
That being, Venom pops into the MCU, and sees Tom Holland Spidey on TV right after "Far From Home".

Venom eats Carnage, and kills Cletus Cassidy, so both halves of that character are gone.
So, kiss future match-ups goodbye.
Venom 3 being "Maximum Carnage"? Nope!

Rumors are heavy that Kraven is the next villain.
But we also get that Venom set up in NWH.
So, I think Venom fights Spidey, then they team up vs Kraven.
-OR!-
Kraven is the Spidey 4 villain, and Spidey is in Venom 3.
Either one of those!
One way or another, Tom Holland is gonna fight Tom Hardy.




So, that's that one down.



3 comments:

B. D. said...

Response to earlier: well, now Bob Saget is dead, he and his old "Dirty Work" buddy Norm MacDonald sure died close to each other. Didn't like "Full House" ever, obviously, but Saget's Comedy Central roast is still very funny.

As for 2022, I got a nasty cold when my dad hacked in my face, but it wasn't COVID. Got a booster shot. May have tooth problems coming up. I'll go see "Scream" and "The Batman" in theaters but I'm guessing the first will blow and the second may or may not be good (I'm looking forward to the Riddler, but Paul Dano remains one of the world's most inconsistent actors.)

"Nomadland" is pretty depressing, if you still keep up with Best Picture winners. By the end of the movie Frances McDormand's got NOTHING, man. I didn't know Chloe Zhao had a superhero movie almost finished by the time it came out, but I also gather people didn't like her superhero movie much!!

Diacanu said...

Re: Bob Saget. Yeah, he was in "The Aristocrats" too. You should see that if you haven't. A lot of people in that are dead, or turned into CHUDs, so it's a nostalgic time capsule of before everything went to Hell.

Re: Your health. Shit, sorry about that.
Least you weren't 'rona-ed.
Hope the teeth thing turns out to be a false alarm.

Re: Scream. So...what's the deal with that, are they rebooting, or is it really Scream 5, and they're ignoring/deleting the numbering like Halloween 2019?

Re: Chloe Zhao/Eternals. Yeah, I'm waiting for the blu-ray to drop to review it.
It's hard telling if/when a Marvel movie is genuinely weak, or if CHUDs are trying to sabotage it because of politics.
I Googled reviews, and third one down said "woke agenda" and I bailed out.
Fuck you, assholes, I'm judging for myself.

B. D. said...

I've seen "The Aristocrats." I"m still on the line about Penn Jillette (he did, at least, trash Trump a few times, although he's like the South Park guys in that you can tell they have to wrestle him to the ground and make him say Uncle on climate change) but I remember a few examples of the joke being funny, which is odd, considering that I'm not a fan of comedy that verges on audience-testing performance art (for example, I find Andy Kaufman almost exclusively funny on paper.)

Teeth: it's my own fault, I'm still a soda drinker. Still on the lookout for Omicron, but social distancing/masking is pretty damn unpopular around here. People would rather just believe the conspiracy theories. American convenience in a nutshell.

"Scream" - It's Scream 5. They're just not titling it that. I gather that my precious original movie's reputation is a bit hard to discern in 2022--the concept of a horror movie starring kids who like horror movies is hardly anything original 26 years down the line and the cell phones and music date it right to 1996. That's probably why the "5" is being left out, and I guess the response to the fourth one is middling. I'm guessing Campbell, Cox and Arquette need the paycheck, so we'll see if they just go through the motions or not.
Kevin Williamson isn't writing it, and I have no idea if that's a good thing or not; as I've said many times, Williamson has been involved with more bad things than good things since 1996, and all he really added to Scream 4 were amusing allusions to horror re-boots.
The movie will likely blow, but there's no way I'm not seeing it.
Silly me.

Blog Archive

Labels