Saturday, May 18, 2019

Meedyah Morsels #74.


Dan Aykroyd talked recently about the future of the GB franchise.



First, he mended fences with Paul Feig by saying..

Ivan Reitman’s son Jason has written a beautiful script, I can’t say too much about it but it’s going to get made and hopefully there’ll be some familiar faces…. But I don’t want to discount the work that the girls did with Paul Feig. I kind of got mad, but I realized I should have blamed myself as a producer, the costs were out of control, I should have been watching as a producer a little more, but you don’t dispute with your director.

You hire a director, you trust a director, you trust their vision. But the job that (stars) Kate (McKinnon), and Kristen (Wiig), and Leslie (Jones) and Melissa (McCarthy) did and indeed Paul did on that movie was superior, or superb. We would have done another one but, again, the cost overruns prevented the studio from looking at it and doing another ladies’ movie….

Now we’re going to do it in a sensible way. Costs will be under control and it’ll be brought in for a sensible budget without waste and that’s what’s important now in getting it made.


Then, when discussing Ghostbusters 3/Ghostbusters 2020 he said...

It’s definitely going to be way under $100 (million). I would think. Movies cost a lot today. It can’t be $30 (million), $50 (million) would be stretching it. I don’t know. Listen, it’s going to be as little as we can spend.

I’m always urging to use puppets. I’m always urging to go back to the mechanicals. But CGI is so efficient and easy to use but I think that all of us are on board with the idea of maybe doing mechanicals and puppets where we can.


Then, finally, he said...

… I’ve written “Ghostbusters High,” where they meet in New Jersey in 1969 and we’re looking to do that as probably a glorified feature or pilot within the next maybe five years…. And it would lead to a television project and I thought of him immediately for that.
It’s on his desk but that’s years away from the current project. But it’s a neat idea for a prequel. Imagine casting the three characters as teenagers!

… We have at least one or two other concepts for the “Ghostbusters” and then we’ll look at doing the prequel, which will be a perfect button on all we’ve done up to that point.


A lot to unpack here.

Okay, let's start with the 5 year gap there.
He says there's a couple other projects in between there.
So, Ghostbusters 2020, something else, something else, then Ghostbusters High.
We know one of those is the delayed animated movie.

So...

GB3- 2020
GB animated 2021-2022
GB???? 2023-2024
GB High 2025

Yeah, that looks about right.

Geez, I hope Dan and Bill and Ivan live long enough for this stuff!

Now, my opinion on "Ghostbusters High".

*Cringe, teeth grind, neck tendons pop out*

I mean...they don't see their first ghost until the library ghost, and they don't strap on the proton packs until they go bust Slimer.

So, unless they're going to violate the shit out of canon, it's just going to be these young teenage guys being wacky, and believing in unproven nonsense.

I guess you could have some wizard erase their memories or something....

Hey, I've got it!
They have a fourth friend (no Winston yet) who dies, and it's Slimer!
Find a chubby John Belushi type.

Okay, I've talked myself into it.
Let's see if this thing even happens.


As for the other stuff, I'm glad they're going to do it on the cheap, the budgets of the first two are part of their charm.
I mean, they were expensive for comedies, and for their day, but compared to today, they're practically indie films.
Fan films today pull off the kind of effects they did then, and for a hundred grand or so.

And, I'm glad he pulled Paul Feig out from under the bus.
That was nice.
Especially where Feig and the two Reitmans are going to have a director's panel at the 35th anniversary convention.
You don't need drama and awkwardness there.

Anyway, the next 5 years are going to be interesting for Ghostbusters fans.


No comments:

Blog Archive

Labels