Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Evil Dead Remake Review!



Okay, so, I just got back from it about 20 minutes ago.

Short version, I dug it.

Rundown version.
  • Remake-shmemake, it's Evil Dead 4.
  • I actually think this is my first full-tilt gory movie seen in the theater!
  • I think this is the first full-tilt balls-to-the-wall horror flick in a helluva fucking while period.
  • As a straight out horror movie ignoring the ED legacy? Excellent. 
  • Continuing that thought, better than the theater trash of the last 15 years.
  • As an Evil Dead? Ehh...tricky to compare it. Especially to the universe of 2 and 3.
  • As a "remake", of the original? Oh, fuck yeah, way better.
  • Called it here, and here, Chick-Ash.
  • Is it perfect? Fuck no.  
  • Will I be adding it to the collection? Fuck yes.
  • Stay for the credits.

And not to do with the film itself, but, the ads say "see it with a crowd".
HA! I was all alone.
Suits me, got center row, center seat, the sweet spot.
Captain's chair.

It'll be interesting to see what the hell they do with Evil Dead Remake 2.
They crammed  a loooot of imagery, tropes, archetypes, etc, from the first 2 into this, and the first 2 share the same exact plot, so...Remake 2 is gonna have to be a whole brand new thing to stay fresh.

Yep, I recommend it for sure.

Usual obligatory links to the past.


No comments:

Blog Archive

Labels