Thursday, June 29, 2023

RIP Alan Arkin

(Sent back in time from my future-self in August, cuz after I missed the Angela Lansury one, I was all out of whack, and didn't think I could ever catch up, and didn't know about the time warp thing Blogger can do. Therefore I was in a "if I can't do all of them, why do any of them?" kind of snit. Which is dumb, I know, but now I'm fixing it)



Yhep, poor Alan Arkin.
Another "The Last Unicorn" alumnus gone.

Jeff Bridges and Mia Farrow are still around though.

LU and "The Return Of Captain Invincible" are the two biggest things I know Mr. Arkin from.
Didn't get into the "Little Miss Sunshine" cult.

Shmendrick lives in the movie, and the books.
At least there's those.
Wish we'd gotten further animated sequels with Alan, but Peter Beagle's writer's block and side distractions didn't cooperate.
I can relate.



2 comments:

B. D. said...

Arkin's key roles as a younger actor were in "Wait Until Dark" (1967) where he played a villain who jumps a mile at Audrey Hepburn, and "Catch-22" (1970) where he played the hero and which I guess not many people watch anymore (the book was better.)

He got cast as a cussy grandpa a lot in his older years, but that's not a bad way to keep yourself going I s'pose. RIP

Jeff Bridges is apparently in shit poor health nowadays--hey, if they ever do a Lebowski sequel I'd be glad to see it!!

Sinead O'Conner had such an absolutely God fucking awful life before AND during AND after her fame that however much she pissed people off during her short time in the spotlight I'd have to sort of let it fly. I heard some of her other stuff back in the day which I thought showcased her vocal talents better than "Nothing Compares 2 U," which doesn't date very well from that pre-alt-rock era IMO, but I'd have to dig around to remember what it was I heard.

Diacanu said...



I struggled whether to include "Wait Until Dark".
Thanks for doing it for me.

Never saw "Catch 22".
Know the reputation of the novel though.

Nothing to add about Sinead, you said it all.



Blog Archive

Labels