Sunday, October 6, 2019

The next Ghostbusters comic!

Meedyah Morsels #152

Yeah, I liked the way the titles looked on my Joker review, so I'm gonna do this format for all my stuff.
Anyhoo...



I said in the Transformers/Ghostbusters review...

No word on what the next Ghostbusters comic is, but they've got to kill the next 10 months until they can do a crossover with GB2020.

And...

Well, whatever it is will be a pleasant surprise the way this was.
Hopefully.

Well....I dunno how I feel about this.

Those images dropped on Tom Waltz's Twitter, and he's got a proven track record of being like The Riddler, he doesn't drop pics just cuz they're pretty, there's always meaning.

So, those aren't just random art pieces, they're covers.
And they're each Ghostbuster guy surrounded by scenes from the first movie, a pic of them in an upper corner busting a ghost from the first movie, and standing in front of the GB logo holding up one finger the way the GB2 logo holds up two.

Seems pretty clear to me, they're doing a direct adaptation of the first movie, and milking it for four issues.

Why do this?
Well, belatedly for the 35th anniversary, and because there never was a comic adaptation.
I know, it's a huge oversight.
Everything else from the 80's did, especially movies that were hits.

GB1 had two novelizations, a picture story book, an audio storybook, a coloring book, it had everything but the goddamned comic book.

And then GB2 had a two issue adaptation from NOW comics, with the RGB animated Ghostbusters substituting for the movie guys.

Maybe this is how they're building up to GB20.
I said above they've got 10 months to kill.
Four months for this, re-publish the GB2 adaptation, do a four issue "Answer The Call", adaptation, bam, and you're right up to GB20.

Then you directly adapt GB20, and then do a crossover.
Probably with the ATC girls, and whatever they fight ties into the first 2 movies, so it integrates all 3 other movies.
Maybe toss some '09 video game stuff in there.

Bam, there you go.
Then for 2021, you do Transformers 2.

Why do I think they'll do a crossover?
They did it for ATC.
Why not?
Why not have everything integrated?
Get it all under one canon.

I dunno how I feel about a GB1 adaptation, cuz....I've got the first movie.
Do I need to see it again?
But...it's from Erik Burnham, so it won't just be a straight adaptation, there'll be extra scenes, and Easter eggs out the ass, so it'll be enhanced.
So, maybe it'll be worth collecting after all.

Anyway, glad they dropped it so fast after TF/GB finished.


Previously with Ghostbusters comics-

TF/GB: Ghosts Of Cybertron review (MM #148)


Previously with MM-

Happy 20th birthday, David Bowie: Hours!! (MM #151)


No comments:

Blog Archive

Labels