Monday, October 17, 2011

I *wavey hand* the Michaels.


Okay, Freddy, Jason, Elliot, now Michael Myers....

Probably should have went with Michael first, but, I'm doing these by feel, and I'll organize later.


Halloween


The film-

So, yeah, this is the one that pretty much set off the whole 80's slasher wave.

Friday The 13th is a knockoff of this, right down to a title around a superstitious calendar date.

And, really, Michael Myers and Jason Voorhees are more or less the same guy.

Michael seems to have a bit more going on upstairs, but eh, they get to the same goals.

Aaanyhoo, this still works, that soundtrack, the classic theme, the way it's shot, it still can deliver the goosebumps.
It's a good 'un.
Worthy of being the "it's a wonderful life", of the holiday that bears its name.
A true classic.
Heavily referenced in "Scream", but, I'll get to those.

The history-

Mmm...always been aware of 'em on some level since they came out.
Saw it, and part two as the double feature on basic cable..can't remember at what age.
Must've been 10-13.
'Bout when I caught up on everything.
Seen it like a hundred times since.

Finally bought parts 1-6 on VHS in a pre-Halloween spree at Wal-Mart while I worked there.

I had the Freddys and Jasons, and I craved more.

Yeah, as you'll see, I really wish I hadn't done that...that was a lot of money....tch...


Halloween II


The film-

Same as the comparison I made to Superman 1 & 2 to Hellraiser 1 & 2, these are kind of one big film.

So, everything that applies to part 1, applies to this one.

Some say it's a bit diminished compared to 1, but I think they're even.

The history-

Ditto part 1.


Halloween III: Season Of The Witch



The film-

I fuckin' like it.

It became "controversial", with post-hoc geek nitpicking 20 years later, but I remember everyone I knew in my family (who liked horror), and my circle of friends really digging it.

They minorly griped about no more Michael Myers, but it's such a good standalone horror film, they let themselves enjoy it.

I remember it being a hit with everyone I knew, and when I finally saw it, it gave me the creepy crawlies, and I loved it.

I actually think it represents the holiday of Halloween better than the first 2, indeed, better than any other horror film.

I think story wise, it's THE Halloween horror film.
Very under-appreciated.
If people want to let brand loyalty to some vaguely fleshed out serial killer stand in the way of enjoying a legitimately entertaining horror flick, well, have fun with that, kids.

Bet you thought I was gonna slam this one, huh?
Nope.

The history-

Um...well, I covered a good chunk of it in the first half, didn't I?
Saw it for the first time on basic cable, pretty sure.
One of the Turner stations.
Later on, got it in that same Wal-Mart spree.
Those first three are the only ones I don't regret.
Guess that's it.


4, 5, Curse, H20, and Resurrection.




The films-

Fuckin' shlock.

The history-

So, yeah, got 4, 5, and 6 in that Wal-Mart spree, and...my goodness...

Poor Donald Pleasence...tch...

Saw bits of H20 on basic cable..again, a Turner network...did not like.

Michael Nelson from MST3K did a special back in the day when this was new, and kept calling it "Halloween water".

That stuck to my synapses, it's "Halloween water", to me forever.

Saw bits of "Resurrection", a couple years later, even worse, by loads.
"Curse of Michael Myers", level awful.

Yep, this was Jamie Lee's last hurrah in Hollywood before becoming the poo-poo yogurt lady.

Jayzus, it seems like just yesterday, I was popping major wood over her underwear dance in "True Lies", now she's a damn grey headed granny selling poo-poo yogurt.

Fuck!


The Rob Zombie ones


The films/history-

III dunno, some friends say they're good, others say don't bother.

I gotta go with my gut, and keep avoiding remakes (see my rants in Freddy & Jason).

They could very well be decent, but...I dunno, I'm feeling my age, those ones I grew up with, they were a moment in time.
Time to move along I think.

Hollywood openly threw me overboard as a customer, in favor of the new kids, I should take the hint.


So, that's the Halloweens, like I said in Hellraiser, Mikey and Elliot have the same batting average, but you wouldn't know it.

Well, Mike Myers had the Hollywood dollar for his publicity campaign.
And Jamie Lee.
I think it's really that simple.

So, what's next?
*Checks my list*
Looks like Chucky!


2 comments:

Diacanu said...

Minor update, saw Cinemassacre's review of the Rob zombie ones...oh...they look just awful!

Hyla Tracy II said...

Yes. Yes, they are. They make you feel sick and hollow and . . . the only touching they do inside is ALL inappropriate.

Of course, if that's what Rob was going for, gold star, buddy!

Yeah, brought that first one home on the Netflix, just to see what the hubbub was. My lady sat through up to . . . I dunno, the first quarter of it, then walked out of the room. I toughed it out, but, hwoo, I wish that I had not. Part 2? No thanks.

Blog Archive

Labels