Sunday, October 23, 2011

You are one..ugly..mutha...


So, I did the Xenomorphs, now, for their retroactive mortal enemies.

The Predators.


Predator


The film-

The film that spawned two governors.

And almost a third...

And, popularized the mini-gun.
Now every kid at the mall has one.
What? No?
Tch, stupid future...

History-

A friend's father kept calling Arnold Schwarzenegger "Sports Nigger".
Taught his kid to say it too.
Aren't people just neato?
*Sigh*

The Aliens, the Predators, these were all R rated movies, but there were toys for 'em.

I know, I worked Toys R Us when they started rolling out.
Strangely, there were "Alien vs. Predator", figures a decade ahead of the actual film.

Well, there was Rambo back in the day, and Robocop in between too.
Oh, yeah, and the Commando doll.

Loved those mixed messages the kiddies got the last 30 years.

"You can't watch this horrible R rated movie because some old lady says Jesus says....but you can have this action doll,  and reenact the mayhem in your imagination with your weird little pals! Merry Christmas, Timmy!".

*Laugh* America, y'gotta love it.


Predator 2


The film-

Opinion on this one is starkly divided.

Some revile it, others, like myself, think "ehhh...it's okay".

Well, it has the gag of the Hotdog Head skull in the trophy mantle of the spaceship, which lead to "Alien vs. Predator".
So, that's historically important now.

And Danny Glover was pretty good.

It's a nifty little flick for a rainy day.

The history-

Y'know, I think I've still got the VHS of this kicking around somewhere...


Alien vs. Predator


Film/history

See here.


AVP: Requiem 


Film/history

Ditto.


Predators


The film-

People on the net have nitpicked it, and yeah, it's far from perfect, but overall, pretty goddamned good.

Matter of fact, fuck the nitpicking, it's awesome.

Best one since the first one, easily.
Totally recaptures its style.

My only gripe?

Dammit, Rodriguez, stop dicking around, and make Sin City 2!
*Shakes fist in the air*

The history-

Saw it yesterday in preparation for this review.
Yay!

Okay, so, that's those.

So, we did a mad scientist who makes zombies, extraterrestrials, now, for the thematic glue, a guy who is both!

And also, he's got a lot of balls!

The Tall Man!!


4 comments:

Hyla Tracy II said...

Ahh, Predator. Such fond memories.

The very first time my dad took us to a video rental store (which was way out off the main road in a field and also offered a side stint of hot air balloon rides, I shit you not) and rented a VCR--RENTED a VCR I say!--we also rented two tapes, one for the old folks, one for me and my brother. And, because I'd been seeing shit about it in Fangoria, I asked for ours to be Predator. AND THEY LET US RENT IT! Awesomeness. My parents movie was broken, though (hee!)

Also, I had the novelization of the movie, and I read it . . . ahh . . . like, double-digits times in my junior high days. Hmm. Wonder where it is now . . .

Diacanu said...

OMFG!!
I think I know where you mean!
Did they have a giant green tarantula made out of a Volkswagon?

Fantasy Ballooning!

I loved that place!

I've wanted to do a post about it, but I can't find photo references.

Yeah, videos, balloon rides, and food.
Good grub there.

Well, not as good as Tory Hill, but y'know...

Hyla Tracy II said...

SHIT, YES! That was the mother! They did have a volkswagon spider, didn't they?

Jesus, I almost thought I dreamt that batshit place.

Diacanu said...

Batshit indeed, but I liked it.

I like weird combos like that.
All they were missing was a bowling alley, and hookers.
And a fat guy in a Hawaiian shirt, chomping a cigar running the whole thing.

D'oh, forgot in the main review, the first Predator had the infamous line "GET TO DA CHOPPA!!!".

Blog Archive

Labels