Sunday, August 11, 2024

Birthday loot 2024.

Got these Friday, just finished watching last night.



Star Trek: Lower Decks, season 4 (2023)



Everything I said last time, plus the finale two-parter feels like a really good Trek movie.
One that's better than "Insurrection" and "Nemesis".
I also said this about Prodigy season 1 part 2, and Picard season 3.
I dunno, everyone's pining for a 4th Chris Pine Kirk movie, but do we really need it with TV Trek being movie quality?
TV Trek is so damned good now.
I keep saying it, but we're in the platinum age.
90's was gold, this is platinum.
It's gluttonous riches.

Speaking of Chris Pine!!!


Dungeon & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves (2023)


I was skeptical, but every friend who saw it loved it, so I gave it a whirl.
Glad I did!! I love the shit out of it!

I wouldn't quite put it up there with "Princess Bride" and "Last Unicorn".
Not the next tier down with "Time Bandits".
Definitely above "Baron Munchausen".
Definitely above "Krull".
Kind of a floating tie with "Dark Crystal".

Yeah, it's definitely on the top ten list of whimsical fantasies.

And it flopped. How? It's fucking great!
You don't have to be a D&D person to like it either.

My history with D&D is as follows.
I loved the Saturday cartoon. 
I played a weird reductionist version with a 5th grade friend flipping a penny instead of rolling a die. 
I tried to get a real game going with a high school friend, and he took so long making his damned character, we didn't get to the damned game. 
And....the Hyla/Spencer bunch flat out excluded me while telling me their funny war stories.
Sadism. Pure sadism.
Do I have an invisible sign on me that says "abuse me"? WTF?

Anyway, Pine's character is a hated fuckup who never gives up, so I could relate.
This movie was for me in spite of bad luck and gatekeeping by shitheads around the actual game.

Pity we won't get a sequel.
Well, I got this one.
 

Weird: The Al Yankovic Story (2022)


I don't know why I fell away from Weird Al fandom, but this movie brought all the happy childhood/teenhood memories back to me.
And reminded me how much of my humor I got from Al.
I mean, I have a ton other influences, but Al was my guy as a kid.

As you can expect, it's not the true story; it's a parody of biopics like "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "Rocketman" with a sprinkle of "The Doors".

Yeah, I'd easily put this up there with "UHF".
This is really great.
Loved it.

As with D&D I had hesitancy, but like D&D, it blew my reservations away.
Very happy I got this.


Ghostrider Collection.
Ghostrider (2007)
Ghostrider: Spirit Of Vengeance (2011)



I finally saw them.
First one's watchable if you make fun of it.
Second one is just torture.

Okay, I revise that.

First one is definitely more goofy fun; second one lags in spite of only being 90 minutes, but there's good stuff buried in there.

For the shit I used to give these movies, they fucking slaughter "Morbius" and "Madame Web".

You just have to accept that with Nic Cage as Johnny Blaze, you're gonna get eccentricity and comedy.
Buckle up for wacky, and enjoy yourself.

Look, the comics tried really fucking hard to take themselves dead fucking seriously, but the character is basically a heavy metal album cover come to life.
Sandman it ain't. Sandman it will never be.
He's a flaming skull. Have fun with it.

It's the Fantastic Four problem on steroids.
They've done comics runs trying to take them dead seriously, but they're a goofy squabbling family.
They're "Mama's Family" with powers.
They're PG-13 "The Incredibles".
Un-pucker your butts, fanboys.

Anyway!! Ryan Reynolds actually did try to get Nic Cage as Ghostrider into "Deadpool & Wolverine" but it didn't go through.
Hopefully, they can get him into "Doomsday" or "Secret Wars".

But! Fun as that would be, you can already head-canon Ghostrider into continuity.
"Agents Of Shield" has the Robbie Reyes Ghostrider; and in flashback, he got his powers from the classic Johnny Storm looking Ghostrider.
We never see this Ghostrider's human form, but it's easy enough to assume it's Nic Cage.

Like Ang Lee Hulk, it's in my canon....

Anyway, with these added, I have everything from Marvel that's watchable.
I'm only leaving out "Man-Thing" and "Inhumans".
Screw those movies.


Wishful Drinking (2010)


Saw it the first time way back in 2013.

Carrie Fisher passed way back in 2016, and I retroactively did her memorial this year.
As I said there...

I didn't wanna own it (Wishful Drinking) then; now I wanna.
Now it's a keepsake.

Now I have it.
Now I have the first-world problem of whether to sort it with comedies, or Star Wars.

Aaaand, that's all of those.
Still plenty cash left, probably gonna be at least a part 2 of these.
Retro-linking this one to my birthday.



3 comments:

B. D. said...

Just so you know, if you actually were going to do a rant about William Calley and your high school Vietnam class, I'd actually be very interested in reading it. Not a joke.

Diacanu said...

Right, right, right! Sorry! It's on my list, and I always finish a list! It's coming!

Diacanu said...

Well, that's freaky. Young George Carlin was just on a Carol Burnett rerun, and the air date was the same day as the start of Calley's court martial.

Blog Archive

Labels