Thursday, December 7, 2023

RIP Norman Lear.



If somehow you missed it, he's the guy behind "All In The Family" "Maude" "The Jeffersons" and "Good Times".
And the largely forgotten and almost never rerun "Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman" that makes "All In The Family" look like Fox News.

He passed Tuesday.
Well, he made it to 101, so he outlived Henry-fucking-Kissinger.

I don't know if that balances the universe or anything, but the symmetry makes me smile.
METV is supposed to cobble together a special and a marathon dedicated to him this upcoming Sunday.
I'll be watching.


2 comments:

B. D. said...

I only very recently found out that "All In The Family" is based off of a British show called "Til Death Do Us Part."

Diacanu said...



Yeah, I've always wanted to see it.
I've seen clips in documentaries, but the BBC has never sent it over to PBS.
Bill Cosby's final show "Cosby" was based on "One Foot In The Grave" and we got that.
"One Foot In The Grave" was better.
The new sitcom "Ghosts" has a British version, and they sent that over.
The British version of "The Office" came over.
No "Til Death Do Us Part" though.
Weird.



Blog Archive

Labels