Sunday, March 6, 2022

The Batman (2022)


Third movie back at the theaters since covid killed Cinemagic, and they came back as Apple.
The previous two being "Ghostbusters: Afterlife" and "Spider-Man: No Way Home".


Previously with our old buddy Bruce....



Yeah, 2012 for DKR, we started this journey 10 years ago!
It takes a long time for Batman flicks to get made!

They're worth the wait though!
Holy shit, are they ever!

This one? 
Masterpiece.
Matt Reeves was the right guy.

I put this one as an apples and oranges tie with "The Dark Knight".
They're both incredible, but very different from each other.
As they should be.
I don't want a "Dark Knight" clone.
I've got "Dark Knight" to watch.

I think this is the first Batman movie that finally at long last nails the flavor of the modern comics.
Bruce/Batman's inner narration, the detective stuff, the look of the bat suit, the feel, everything.
The wall between comic and movie has finally been kicked all the way down.

And critics have always said the villains are the stars of Batman movies, nope, this is finally Batman's movie all the way.

We get a damn good villain though.
Riddler is the most unsettling villain we've ever had in one of these.
He's not Jim Carry or Frank Gorshin, he's the Zodiac.
Top to bottom. Zodiac.
That's no complaint, Riddler should be Zodiac.
That's who he'd be in our world.

He won't be beloved like Ledger Joker, or Phoenix Joker, but...I think he goes next to Tom Hardy Bane.
He'll be remembered on that level.

Getting back to Batman, Pattinson's Batman nails comic book Batman.
Especially the more edgier and angry interpretations.
He does a great job. 
Personally, I'd put him above Bale, and tied with Affleck.
YMMV.

Everyone nails their roles and interacts well together.
I've got no complaints.

You feel the 3 hour runtime, but you're so invested, you wouldn't mind sitting through 6 hours of this, it's so fucking good.

Some critics are saying how dark and bleak this gets, but I thought the final scenes of the final act, and the final message they deliver to be quite uplifting.
Batman grows in this one.
I haven't  seen Batman grow this much since...well, weirdly, "Lego Batman".

Yeah, I guess that's the comparison I can make.
"Dark Knight" is the greatest Batman vs Joker movie, this is the best movie of Batman being Batman, and capturing the comic book flavor.
Plus the character growth I mentioned.

Highly recommended.
Go see it.
It's movie history level good.

I can't wait for the inevitable sequels.
We're in for another historic trilogy with these.
We knew we were pretty much in good hands when Reeves got picked, but the proof is in the pudding, and I've had the pudding now.
The pudding is good.
It's fucking gourmet.
Feast, my friends, feast.



1 comment:

Paladin said...

Glad you liked it, though once I saw it, I was pretty sure you would.

Blog Archive

Labels