Saturday, October 13, 2018

43rd birthday loot update part 3.



Haha!! Nope, I wasn't done after all!!


30 Years Of Garbage:
The Garbage Pail Kids Story (2018)


It finally came!!!!!

From here.

This is on order, but I have no idea if or when its coming.
I'll update.

Well, I had to re-order the sumbitch.
They made a limited amount of DVDs in favor of streaming, and sold out all the copies, but they came back around via re-sellers, and I snagged the second to last one on Earth.

It's excellent! I fucking love it.
I knew I would.

Covers the biographies of the artists, the early history of Topps, the rise of the Cabbage Patch phenomenon, then the birth, and rise, and fall, and rebirth of the GPK cards.
Also, they touch on the GPK movie, but I think I have to get the blu-ray of the actual movie for the deep dive on that.
The movie blu-ray has documentaries and commentary tracks to flesh that out.
Ugh, never thought I'd want that, but...I do.
Terrible as the flick is, I'm curious about how in the Hell that got made.
That's gotta be a weird story.
I mean, I get that Hollywood wanted to make a quick buck off a fad, that part's not hard to figure out, but how THAT version of the movie got made, that's a real head scratcher.

My biggest overall take away, Xavier Roberts is human filth.
He didn't even invent Cabbage Patch, he stole it from Martha Nelson Thomas, so him suing GPK over something he didn't invent was just petty corporate bullying, and rank hypocrisy.

And it's chilling how fair use protections magically didn't protect them, because its been carved up over the years by lawyers into these specific little zones, and cards isn't one of them.
The first amendment should fucking apply to everything.
All the carved up exceptions are to protect robber barons from the little guy.
Really fucking dirty.
Bastards.

But, GPK gets the last laugh, my generation remembers GPK more fondly than those dopey dolls.

My second biggest take away, John Pound is as close a thing to my artistic deity as you can get.

Some nifty factoids, Art Spiegelman who wrote/illustrated "Maus", worked on them, the nephew of Andy Warhol worked on them, the dude who created and writes "The Goldbergs", was a fellow fanboy of the cards, and since the filming of the documentary, Topps made a Goldbergs GPK.

Documentary is roughly 2 hours, then there's another hour or so of bonus deleted scenes.
So, 3 hours of good stuff.

As mentioned above, I got one of the last physical disks of this thing, so if you wanna see it, you gotta rent/buy it streaming.

So, I'm happy as a pig in shit.
Next up, "Unearthed And Untold", about Pet Sematary, and then I'll do my big long delayed documentary compilation.
These crowd funded shows take a looooong time to make.
I started making my wish-list of these things...Christ, when the blog started.

Anyhoo, all for now.
See you next time.



3 comments:

B. D. said...

...and when people DO remember Cabbage Patch Kids, isn't it on grounds of old legendary stories from the 80s or whenever or moms killing each other at toy stores over the last ones, or something like that?

Popples, anyone? Pound Puppies? Teddy Ruxpin? I can't even think of TR without thinking of that diarrhea story you posted about him. Something closer to home for people my age, like Furbies or Tickle Me Elmos? ("This year's fad, next year's landfill")? Man, I was NEVER EVER into any of these doll/toy/cartoon fads and my parents never fell for it either. I should be grateful!!

Diacanu said...


The urban legend is that people died, but they DID beat the shit out of each other.
There's footage of it in the documentary.
A toy store guy is scaring people back with a fucking aluminum bat.

Dig this, GPK did an "We Hate The 80's", series, and there's a Teddy Ruxpin GPK.
And a Madball! Now that gets meta.
A GPK of a toy that was basically a 3-D solid GPK.

http://geepeekay.com/gallery_80s_toys.html

Next series is "We Hate The 90's", so you know Furbee and Elmo are gonna be in there.


B. D. said...

Well, I guess it's good that nobody died. Eghn, the urban legend could have just as easily been people beating the shit out of each other. But I'm glad I avoided crazy toy stuff.

You know how Nine Inch Nails was in Twin Peaks?

Here's a bit of weird trivia...

The blood-curdling screams that keep looping in the background of this song....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCxz-d7jQwU

....are taken from....

....you ready?

....Stuart Gordon's Robot Jox!!! (Skip ahead to 6:29...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUxDmKFCD2o

Blog Archive

Labels