Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Sandman: The home stretch!!


Coming around the bend!!!

Sandman: Dream Country (1991)
Sandman: Brief Lives (1994)
Sandman: The Kindly Ones (1996)


12 down, 1 to go!!!!


So, I said last time...

Next batch of two will be 7 & 9, cuz those wrap up the main story, then 3 & 8, cuz those are anthology stories, then...one more extra thing that's Sandman-adjacent.
Maybe two extra things, but one of them is hard to acquire.
Stay tuned.

Well, I had some extra dosh, so I got 7, 9, and 3.
Leaving 8 left to go.

As for the extra Sandman-adjacent thing, it was going to be "Black Orchid" because it was the thing Neil Gaiman did just before Sandman, and it connects through her meeting Batman and Swamp Thing.
Bullmoose had a used copy I had my eye on, but it got sold out from under me while I scrounged the money for these.
So, I got volume 3 instead.

The other thing, the one I said is hard to acquire, is "Hellblazer: The Devil You Know".

It has Constantine's legendary Newcastle misadventure, which is actually adapted into the Sandman TV show, so it's part of Gaiman's canon, even though he didn't write it.

Bullmoose didn't have it, but Books A Million had one. Sadly, that also got sold out from under me, and now their remaining copies are ridiculously expensive, and I won't pay what they're asking.

So, volume 8 next, and MAYBE "Black Orchid" and "Hellblazer" through Amazon further down the line.

ANYWAY!! The books themselves!!

"Dream Country" is an anthology like "Fables And Reflections" and has the "Calliope" and "Dream Of A Thousand Cats" episodes that were in the TV show, and the famous "Midsummer Night's Dream" issue that won a literary award. Plus, it completes the trilogy of Dream meeting Shakespeare. The other parts being in 2 and 10.

"Brief Lives" is a road adventure with Dream and Delirium to find Destruction.
I wasn't a big fan of this arc on the first read through, because Delirium is...a lot, and reminds me of some neuro-divergent people I know, but...y'know, I'm starting to come around on her.
Maybe next read through, I'll really love it.

"The Kindly Ones" is...well, it's Sandman's "Infinity War".
With "The Wake" as his...hmm...final scenes of "Endgame" first scenes of "Far From Home".
Yeah, that analogy works.
*Pats self on back*

I'll finally address the elephant in the room. 
I dunno if I'll get "The Dream Hunters".
Probably not.
That's a cul de sac; not part of the main series; you don't really need it, and...I'm not a fan.
On paper, Gaiman writing, and Amano doing art sounds like the greatest thing in the universe, but in execution, it's neither of their best work. IMHO. YMMV.
Again, not a fan, and again, you don't need it for continuity.
"Overture" doesn't even reference it, and that crams in everything.

So!! Almost there! Stay tuned! 


3 comments:

B. D. said...

"Bodies Bodies Bodies" is just an Agatha Christie people-trapped-in-a-house slasher whodunit, except all the people are obnoxious unlikable Zoomer kids who couldn't go an hour of their life without social media. The satire of them is obvious, but it's also the only really interesting thing about the movie. I guess the twist at the end was sort of interesting too. I don't know that I'd really recommend it, much.

I'm just posting this in case you'd heard that this was the hot new horror film of the last year, or anything.

I also saw the "Avatar" sequel which must have cost $500 million but still doesn't have much in the way of an interesting plot or characters. A couple decent action sequences. Also I felt sick at the end from the combination of headache 3D glasses, Cameron toggling the frame rate to save money and the $14 Extreme Chocolate milkshake that I ingested that must have had 4200 calories in it.

Diacanu said...



Sorry for neglecting this place.
RL has been brutal.

I'm assuming you've heard about the racist implosion of Scott Adams, and seen some of the funny memes?

Here's my favorite.

https://freethoughtblogs.com/singham/files/2023/02/Bolling-Dilbert.jpg


Diacanu said...


Oh, and Julie Strain actually really died this time.

Blog Archive

Labels