It's after-birthday, but I got it with birthday card money, so it counts.
Nightmares & Dreamscapes (1993)
Back in the day, must have been 90's, Ma got me "Nightmares and Dreamscapes" in paperback. The old paperback cover is a sun-man and moon-man overlapped on each other. "Different Seasons" also had a sun-man and moon-man theme. Somewhere along the line, I'm thinking early 00's, I must have mistaken "Nightmares and Dreamscapes" for doubles of "Different Seasons" and tossed the former out. Cuz it's gone. Turned the room upside down for it.
So!! Got a new copy of "Dreamscapes".
The new edition has the above cover, so I won't fuck up this time. 😓
And! It came out just after "Dolores Claiborne".
And! It came out my graduation year.
And! It contains "Crouch End" another story connected to Lovecraft-verse.
"Crouch End" was formerly published in "New Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos" edited by Ramsey Campbell!!
So, yeah, this one's pretty special to me.
Everything's Eventual (2002)
Contains "LT's Theory of Pets" which I'm gonna review separately as a CD Audiobook I found in Ma's collection.
And, "1408".
Came out the same year as "From a Buick 8" which is also in the next review.
I've got it all read, but I'm dragging my feet on the blog. Sorry about that.
I'll retro link it all here, and it'll all make sense, and work out.
I'm good like that.
11/22/63 (2011)
I'm 98% sure this was the last one I got for Ma that she got to read.
I can see it in my mind's eye on the coffee table as real as life with no dream-fog.
When Ma first got sick, it was in 2012, and to get her back home from the hospital, me & dad had to build a ramp to get her in, and we had to clear a path to her chair, so the coffee table and everything on it had to be packed up in the garage attic.
We were racing against the fucking insurance company, so there was no time to be sentimental.
Theoretically, I could just go out there and get it, but that attic is an Indiana Jones adventure, and my ticker can't take that shit anymore.
Easier to just get my own copy.
I got her "Doctor Sleep" and "Revival" after this, but her eyes and short term memory didn't allow for reading anymore.
I mean, she asked for the books, and I dutifully bought them anyway.
Anyway, this was her last one interaction wise.
And critics consider it one of King's new masterpieces Well "new". 15 years ago now.
So, it was a good one for her to go out on.
The last King thing we got to share was the "Under The Dome" TV show.
So, we had that.
So, yeah, I chose these for their special significance, and it heals my heart to have gotten them.
Batch 1 assuaged some leftover guilt for not having read them when Ma was alive. Batch 2 satisfied some canon research curiosity. Batch 3 tied up some loose ends of the remaining ones physically on hand.
This finally feels right.
This feels like a real spackling of the heart-crack.
I feel genuinely good about this.
🙂❤
I'll retro-link this back to my birthday.




No comments:
Post a Comment