Sunday, June 17, 2018

Harry Hembock, and #Metoo.


I wrote this on Facebook, and I want it compiled in the 5th Harry volume, so I wanted to post it here, but at the time, I was working on my big 90's retrospective that ended up taking forever, and I figured "ahhh, the next Harry-versary is awhile away, I've got plenty of time!", and then stuff in RL kept coming up, and new movies would drop I'd have to go see, and it just kept getting delayed.
And then I just got done with this "Shmegalamonga-ganza!", thing, and I realized there's no time like now.
Let's get this fucking done, you lazy chicken dummy!
So, at long last, here it is...


As all the Harvey Weinstein and Kevin Spacey shit has come out, I keep thinking of shit that's in the Harry Hembock books. It's like "oh, shit!".
I've got him dry humping women's hands at a bus stop.
I've got him pelvic thrusting his erection at people at a mall.
I've got him pimping his girlfriend.
I've got him humping the corpse of his freshly dead girlfriend killed by a super villain.
There's some fucked up shit in there, that if I wrote it now, he'd be seeing jail time.
But then...I have him in other episodes in front of firing squads, and in electric chairs with no explanation, so I guess it all hooks together.

Well...that first book has "the true life adventures of a horrid little man", on the cover.
He's not really a "good guy". He's an amoral mad scientist who delusionally THINKS he's a superhero, so he's really bad at it.
I don't know how many people picked up on that, and I think I really fucked it up when I made him a more moral character in the reboot "Nobody loves Harry Hembock".

No, he's meant to be an anti-hero on the level of Alex from "A Clockwork Orange".
I also think my art style is too "cute", that it doesn't read as dark as what was in my head. So I'm like "shit...in this hashtag-metoo age, do I gotta explain the joke?", and it's like "yeah, I think I do".

Hmm, I have him become president in one time compressed episode, so maybe I was predicting something....


3 comments:

B. Dee said...

I get your point, but I doubt very many of the #MeToo people are even *reading* your stories.

Amusingly, someone pointed out to me that if "The Breakfast Club" were remade the part where Judd Nelson sticks his head between Molly Ringwald's legs probably wouldn't happen.

The old HBO show "1st & Ten" starring OJ Simpson, from the 80s, is worthless shit, BTW. Uh, not that you'd have ever bothered to watch it in ten million years.

And, just in case you wanted my opinion, I can't say much of anything in "The Dark Tower" worked at all. I don't think that TV series is going to happen!

Diacanu said...

>>I get your point, but I doubt very many of the #MeToo people are even *reading* your stories.

Probably not.
But, you never know, some post-nuclear cockroach archaeologist might find my stuff, and I want him to know where I stood.

Yeah, "Dark Tower", was kinda "meh".
"IT", blew it out of the water.
I hope "IT", makes "Doctor Sleep", step up its game.

B. D. said...

"Doctor Sleep" is sadly being written by Akiva Goldsman, the hack who wrote "The Dark Tower" and used to write bad movies for Joel Schumacher and Ron Howard, including "Batman & Robin." One of the most hated screenwriters ever. Don't know how he keeps finding work (he has an Oscar for "A Beautiful Mind," but is still best known for the B&R debacle.)

I'm still ranking "Suicide Squad" as being worse than TDT because I'd rather have 85 minutes of nothing working at all than 2 hours of over the top crud.

Blog Archive

Labels