I personally think so.
Maybe I'm making non-existent connections on a cork board, but I think I'm on to something.
Even if I'm wrong, I don't think I'm pulling it entirely out of my ass.
See what you think...
From here....
Page 13.
A wave crashing on a cliff with a weird dome building/city.
A lost civilization on Earth?
Perhaps alien?
Perhaps a precursor to "Castle Condar", which later became Arthur's castle?
An abandoned plotline to be sure....
I'm pretty goddamned sure that's the house on the borderland from "The House on the Borderland".
It sits near an ocean cliff. Every book cover that shows the house has it on a watery cliff.
And the book describes it as having a domed roof.
There it is.
If true, the "abandoned plotline" isn't abandoned. It's HOTB.
Just read HOTB.
It's not plucked out of thin air. Necronomicon is from Lovecraft. So Sam Raimi at least read his Lovecraft. And if you read enough Lovecraft, you sooner or later stumble into "Supernatural Horror In Literature" where Lovecraft recommends Hodgson.
Could have been Sam Raimi, could have been Tom Sullivan who made the Necronomicon prop. Could have been both working together.
If Raimi/Sullivan read Hodgson, that's where they got the time travel for "Evil Dead 2" and "Army of Darkness".
The Diskos-es could be the inspiration for Ash's chainsaw.
The tree people in "The Boats of the Glen Carig" could have inspired the living trees in ED 1 & 2.
The sawblade weed whacker in "Evil Dead Burn" could even be a Diskos reference.
Oh, and here's a little bit of fun. It doesn't necessarily connect to the main theory, but I thought I'd just toss it out there.
I stumbled into Stephen King's review of Evil Dead 1.
He brings up WHH. The context is WHH got rejected by Weird Tales for a story that was too gory for them. Then a ripoff of that story got published 15 years later. King used that as a comparison to ED being too far ahead.
Doesn't directly connect ED to WHH, but it does show King knows WHH.
So that made me smile.
Anyway, there's all that.
Oh, and this counts as Lovecraft-verse side-quests bonus episode #5!
Final one!

No comments:
Post a Comment