Monday, August 12, 2013

Adding to my collection (Part 13)


(See here for part 12)


Night Of The Living Dead (1968)


The 40th anniversary one with the commentary by Romero, and the documentary that reunites the stars (except Duane Jones), and the final audio interview of Duane Jones from '88.

Got this before in that 10 pack back in March, and the video quality is MUCH better than that one, as can be expected.

The bonuses are top notch.
The doc is up there with "Never Sleep Again", for nostalgia/fun level.

I'm going to do a more in-depth review on the Romero dead flicks, so...I'll just talk about DVD stuff with this one.


Day Of The Dead (1985)


Got this on the same trip as "Night", to finally bookend "Dawn", and complete the original trilogy.

Had so much other shit to get the past couple years, just never seemed to get around to it.
Rectified now.

Only bonuses are a commentary with George Romero, and Tom Savini.
But, hey, good enough for me.

Said last time in my "Survival", review, this one was under-appreciated, and has aged like a fine wine.
Could be my favorite.


Land Of The Dead (2005)


So, after I marathon-ed "Night", "Dawn", and "Day", and exalted in their glory, I was naturally craving more.
Like a zombie craves flesh.

So, as said last time, had to get 'em.

Glad I did, I really dig this one.
Lot of reviewers nitpicked the hell out of it, and whined like babies, but I just don't see the problem.
I think it fits right in with the first three.
I love it the more I see it.
I'll get into that more in the actual Dead series review though.

This one got all the DVD bells and whistles.
Commentary, docs, deleted scenes, the whole shmeal.
Nice.


Diary Of The Dead (2007)


Another one nitpicked in its original release, and another one I fell in love with at first sight.
I just don't get these fans that know what this series is about, what Romero is about, and then each fucking new one throws them a mental curve ball.

Each one of these keeps up with the times that are going on, and this one comments on the internet/Youtube/everyone-has-a-fucking-camera age, and, frankly, this kicks "Blair Witch", in the dick.
Both as a film, and message wise.
To me, this closes the "Blair Witch", chapter of film history for good.
Every "found footage", knockoff flick afterward is living in pathetic denial.

Anyhoo, like "Land", this had all the bells and whistles.


Survival Of The Dead (2009)


Talked about it some here.

Said it was "the least good", but...now that I'm starting to unravel more of the political content of this one, I'm starting to dig it a whole lot more.
I really need to watch it again.

This one was a 2-disc set, and the doc on this was almost more fun than the film itself.

Be forewarned, "Land", was the big-budget blowout of all of them, but George has deliberately gone back to his low budget indie roots for "Diary", and "Survival".
People have whined about the cheapness, but, the FIRST one was cheap!
People will cry about anything.


The Crazies (1973)


See here.

Only bonus is a George commentary.
Good 'nuff.
Got this along with "Land", "Diary", and "Survival".


Cabin In The Woods (2011)


See here.

Love it, instant classic.
Got this along with "Night", and "Day".

Bonuses out the ass.
Documentary reveals that Heather Langenkamp (as Heather Anderson) and her husband did the practical monster makeups and puppets for this show.
Awesome!

So, there, that's those collected.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Labels