Thursday, January 3, 2019

Corrections/updates Part 15.


In "Toxie review (Part 2)", I was a naive little babe in the woods yet again.

Quoted bit below, relevant bit in red, but whole quote for context...

Disc 2, the main attraction is "Apocalypse Soon", the making of, from pre-production to post-production, to premieres, and this by itself might be right up there with my favorite documentaries.

Up there with "Crumb", possibly better, up there with "Never Sleep Again", blows away pseudo-doc shit like "Brutal Massacre", and "For Your Consideration", and absolutely cremates "The Idiots", "Kids", and "Gummo".

Did I mention this DVD was the antidote to a lot of bad juju?

And it's all real (the doc).
Nothing staged, it's just TROMA sets are chaotic, and everyone involved is nuts.

Haha!!
Nope!
They staged shit like a motherfucker!

In the commentary for "Toxic Avenger Part 2", Lloyd Kaufman tells the story of how the guy playing Toxie for the beginning of the movie was an asshole who wasn't working out, so he replaced him with his double, and he ended up being better.

They re-enact that in the Toxie 4 documentary.
FAKE!!

In the commentary for "Squeeze Play", he tells a story of an actress who got naked in rehearsals, then refused to do it on camera, and fucked up the whole movie.

They re-enact that in the Toxie 4 documentary.
FAKE!!

But, I think you're MEANT to find out if you're a deep enough fan.
So, it's an on-purpose mock-umentary.

You got me, Troma, you got me.
Put me in a Tootsie Pop wrapper, cuz I was a sucker.

Yeah, it's a detail only I care about, in a film only I care about, but it's my blog, and it was bugging me.


4 comments:

B. D. said...

Was there anything FAKE about that time Lloyd Kaufman got beaten up on the Morton Downey Jr. show?

I watched "Hereditary." Some nice atmospherics and creepy scares and beautiful shot composition but when you find out the "explanation" for everything that's happening to this beleaguered family it's a pretty lame explanation.

The movie is also a little bit too long. I'll leave it to you to decide if you feel like catching it. It's okay but certainly not great.

With the exception of "It Follows" and "The VVitch," this happens every year--some random horror movie blows critics away and they call it "the scariest movie since The Exorcist!!" and it usually doesn't turn out to be that. You know the drill.

Diacanu said...



Re: Kaufman on Morton Downey.
Hard telling.
Downey's career burnt to the ground cuz he got caught faking being beat up by skinheads.
The guy that directed "VHS Massacre", swears Lloyd Kaufman's arm was dislocated, but Andy Kaufman was willing to get hurt for a bit too.

I'm glad you brought up Hereditary, my next blog project after the final Harry story will be "Movies I Missed", where I'll marathon 5 huge movies that slipped me by for every year I've been doing reviews of my theater trip movies, which is since 2013.
So, 25 all together.
Hereditary is on the list for 2018.


B. D. said...

I actually did look up the clip of Kaufman on Morton Downey Jr. I know about it because there's a Troma Quiz on the DVDs where it's brought up. (Lloyd is in "Rocky"?)
As for *Andy* Kaufman, having watched that (mostly unfunny, IMO) clip of him and Jerry Lawler, and knowing the backstory behind the two of them collaborating, I think Andy didn't really get that badly hurt--Lawler stage-slapped him and Andy intentionally went flying out of his chair too hard. You can also see the two of them make eye contact right before Andy throws the coffee.
Lawler actually hit Jim Carrey far harder--Carrey actually got into character by spitting in Lawler's face, among other things, and Lawler really didn't like him.
Oh wait were you talking about Kaufman getting injured wrestling? I guess that was real too.

So that's what happened to Downey? I'd never heard of that, so I guess he's really been pretty well forgotten by time, then--I've only looked up a couple clips of him total and I guess no one cares about him anymore?

Diacanu said...


Downey died of lung cancer.
He smoked like a paper factory.
He never came back from the fake skinhead attack thing.
No one could prove it in a court of law, but there was enough evidence for the court of public opinion to be disgusted.
He punched himself in the face, drew swastikas on himself with a marker, and mussed up his hair, and said imaginary skinheads attacked him.
It was a play for both ratings, and for his young trophy wife to take care of him, and thus stay with him.
He didn't need to do that for either of those things, but he was paranoid, and hated himself.
Getting caught ruined his career and marriage, so he caused his own worst fears.
He got caught, because someone traced receipts and security footage, and he bought the markers.

So, anyway, if the rivalry between him and Kaufman was real, Kaufman won.

Yep, Rocky hustles a wino out of a bar, and that's Lloyd, he had a black beard at the time.

And yeah, I meant mostly in the ring for Andy's injuries.
It was never hospital worthy, but he got banged up.


Blog Archive

Labels